Friday, September 26, 2014

Self Control

"I have much to say about you and much to condemn, but I won’t. For I say only what I have heard from the one who sent me, and he is completely truthful.”

This verse clearly shows that the 'man' Jesus wanted to jump all over the people He was speaking to and point out their sins, but He didn't do it. Jesus was tempted in every way we are but didn't surrender to His flesh, He exercised the fruit of the Spirit instead.
Galatians 5 lists the fruit of the Spirit, the last "fruit" listed is "Self Control". I did a little research and discovered something interesting, the meaning of the words 'self' and 'control' in Greek is "Self Control", so there is no excuse for exploding on people or for any other actions that are not Christ like.

Jesus was aware that His human nature was capable and likely to be less than truthful so He chose to restrain His flesh and yield to His father's will. There is a parallel between what Jesus did in dealing with the people in the temple and what Moses did in the desert when dealing with the children of Israel.

Moses was upset with the children of Israel and expressed that anger to the people by striking the "Rock" when told to speak to it. He portrayed God to the people in an inappropriate way and it cost him a very high price. He was denied entry to the "Promised Land" and the rest he longed for because he allowed his emotions to speak instead of his spirit. In His mercy God allowed him to see the land but he never entered into it in his flesh.

Some times we deny our selves the blessings of God because we are not in control of our emotions or actions. When we misrepresent God to the world it is a serious thing because the eternal state of men's souls are at stake. It is our primary goal as believers to make disciples of men for God's Kingdom.

I am, going to the mountain top today to seek God's grace and forgiveness for the actions I have taken and the words I have spoken that have misrepresented Jesus to those in my sphere of influence. Help me Jesus.....

No comments:

Post a Comment