Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Overwhelming Grace

There are times when we need to hear from the Lord because things seem to be more than we can handle and it "feels" like we have been abandoned. I thank God that at those times He has ways to reassure us that He has not left us or forsaken us. At times it is not enough to just have the scriptures to comfort us, though the scriptures are alive and contain the words of life that sustain us.

God knows our frames and our weaknesses and at the times we begin to wonder if He knows we are going through difficult situations He sends us the comfort and affirmation we need. More than once He spoke to Jesus saying "This is my Son....." and when John the Baptizer was in prison needing reassurance Jesus sent Him a 'practical' word from the natural world saying "...the dead are raised the sick are healed....".

This morning as I was getting dressed to go out for a walk I was telling the Lord I needed to hear from Him and after 3 hours in the word and prayer I heard nothing and was feeling a bit overwhelmed by circumstances, He still said nothing. I walked out the door and was shocked and immediately depressed at the sight of snow on the ground and in the air coming down at an incredible rate. Out of my mouth came "OH GOD, I HATE SNOW!!!", I looked up and was about to ask Him why He was doing this to me now, I am not feeling well, Toots is sick and needs to go to the dr. today and I can't deal with this now. But as I looked up I saw the stars in the sky shining bright and yet it was snowing like crazy. Immediately I 'heard' the Lord say that no matter how bad things appear He is there and no amount of discouragement the enemy tries to bring my way will be able to blind me to His presence.

He is not "in" the storm that comes into our lives but He is in the midst of it with us giving us peace and the assurance we need. He will always show us the thing we need to see or send someone with the word we need to hear to strengthen us and encourage our hearts. As quickly as I saw the stars through the snow and heard Him speak to me the snow ended. In the midst of this current storm He spoke and though there is snow on the ground, He is still on the throne and in control.....

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment