Thursday, October 24, 2013

 The following is a letter I wrote to my congressman, Congressman Tom Reed (RINO N.Y.) and his (NON)response to me. Needless to say it appears that he did not bother to read my letter or was just plain "Blowing me off". I intend to re-write the letter and demand a response to the specific concerns I raised about the Speaker of the House. I hate being patronized by those who are supposed to represent me in our government. Please contact your representatives too, if they don't hear from us they will continue to act like Rep. Reed.

Dear Congressman Reed,
I am writing this letter to you concerning the recently revealed actions of the speaker of the House of Representatives. A letter from the Speakers office to Senator Reid released by Senator Reid's chief of staff the other day revealed a plan by the speaker to do a backhanded deal to secure subsidies for members of government and their staff that would effectively give them and you a pass on the Affordable Care Act that no other citizen will receive. The letter made it clear that he knew it was a dirty and underhanded move and expressed that it must be kept from the public. It further revealed that he would make it look like he was fighting against it while in reality would capitulate and fund the bill thereby giving himself and those in government, yourself included, a free pass at the expense of the American people.

I am disgusted and appalled by this kind of activity and as my representative in Congress I demand that you take action on this and call for the Speaker to resign for deceiving the American people. He has betrayed the trust of the People he was elected to represent and does not deserve to hold public office. I have every intention of getting this story out to everyone I know and to all those who read my Facebook pages (over 100,000 ) and my blog. I also fully intend to copy and paste this letter and your response to it so the voters in your district will be able to help hold you accountable for restoring integrity to the halls of Congress.

I hope you will not just respond to this very serious matter by claiming you have no authority to take action or a voice that will be heard because that is not the case. You represent thousands of New Yorkers who want to see government cleaned up and we will not accept any more representatives who will not risk their all for this republic. I am very angry about this as are those who look to me for advice and we will work tirelessly to remove any and all representatives who refuse to take action on this issue and others like it. We will also work tirelessly to elect those who will fulfill their oath to uphold the Constitution.
VERY Sincerely,
Reverend Robert Seymour

His Response to my letter;
October 24, 2013
Robert Seymour
1277 Taylor Road
Owego, NY 13827-1200

Dear Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to contact my office with your opinion about the recent partial government shutdown. This is a very important issue and I'm pleased you took a moment to express your thoughts to me.

Let me begin by stating that no one wanted the United States government to shutdown, which was not good for anyone. Prior to the shutdown, I supported four Continuing Resolutions which funded the government and then during the shutdown I supported 17 individual spending bills to reopen or fund various parts of the government. However, the final Continuing Resolution to reopen the government which passed on October 16, 2013 simply "kicked the can down the road" - leaving Congress to vote again on a possible government shutdown and an additional increase in the debt ceiling again after the New Year. I was not sent to Washington to preserve the status quo and continue this cycle of temporary solutions and governing in a crisis atmosphere.

For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we must change the culture of Washington. I have been working with many of my colleagues on a plan which would provide a meaningful, long-term solution for our country's finances so that we're not faced with the threat of default or shutdown every few months. Our proposal includes a three-year phase-in of reforms to the spending and budget process which will break the cycle of crisis decision-making for political gain.

Please watch for the details over the next few months (before we are forced into this position again). Short-term solutions only serve to exacerbate the situation we find ourselves in after decades of spending more than we have. We need a long-term solution and I am optimistic that we can find one.


Please stay in touch and keep me informed of your views as we debate this and other issues in Congress. Feel free to visit my website,
www.reed.house.gov, where you may find additional information on important issues such as these. You may also sign up for my E-newsletter to receive regular updates on what my office is doing in both New York’s 23rd Congressional District and in Washington D.C. Additionally, I encourage you to visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/RepTomReed or follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/RepTomReed where we can continue our conversation.

Sincerely,

Congressman Tom Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment